Sniff the air—can you smell it? For a TV and film nerd like me, this time of year is beyond sweet. What’s that wonderful odour? Why it’s awards season!
The red carpet!
The awkward speeches!
The hosts (especially Ricky Gervais, who’s expected to eviscerate everyone at the Golden Globes again this year)!
And also, of course…the betting. I’m big into awards betting, particularly for the Oscars. But I don’t mean calling up a bookie or passing a brown envelope in a back alley. I mean gathering my friends around the TV and laughing at them when my predictions are right.
Yes—sometimes, I lose. But I have a pretty good percentage. And I plan on exploiting it again this year. My favourite way to do this is to host a fun party where I make drinks and serve food and make everyone comfortable and then pass out prediction sheets. And then laugh maniacally, but quietly. Bwahaha.
So, starting this Sunday with the Golden Globes, you can find me on my couch betting chips and drinks on who’s the best actor in a drama. And I will probably win, not to brag. My secret? It’s not about what I like, it’s about what everyone else likes, balanced with a mix of magical guessing powder. Think about it.
Herewith, some of my predictions for this Sunday. Will I be right? Only time will tell! Share your own predictions in the comments.
- Best Motion Picture – Drama: The Descendants
- Best Actress – Drama: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
- Best Actor – Drama: George Clooney, The Descendants
- Best Motion Picture – Comedy: Bridesmaids
- Best Actress – Comedy: Charlize Theron, Young Adult
- Best Actor – Comedy: Ryan Gosling, Crazy, Stupid Love
- Best Supporting Actress: Jessica Shastain, The Help
- Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners
- Best Director: Martin Scorsese, Hugo
- Best Screenplay: Moneyball
image via ScreenJunkies