It’s inevitable, when the weather heats up so do our social lives. We want to get out more, doing things with our friends, being active and of course enjoying patio life! Unfortunately doing more tends to mean spending more – but it doesn’t have to. Here are some fun frugal tips to have a hot summer and save some cool cash.
1) A tropical get-away… in your backyard – You can sunbathe in your yard as easily as you can at a beach. You can also hook up your garden hose or sprinkler, buy some water balloons and invite over friends for a cook-out. All are cheaper alternatives than a full-blown vacation and can include just as many memories that you’ll keep forever.
2) Look for package deals – Tons of businesses run summer promotions. Everything from theme parks to your local tanning beds offer discounts this time of year. Keep your options open and call around if you need to. It’s really ok to treat yourself to a good time – especially when you know you saved money on it!
3) Free events are everywhere – it might be a free play, a free concert in the park or just a free ice cream at your local ice cream parlor. Your newspaper is the best place to look for these freebies, but you can sometimes find them listed online as well.
4) Mid-Season pass discounts – Look out for drastically reduced season passes to all your favorite sporting events. If the season is half over these passes are a real steal. You get all the benefits of seeing the games without all the expense of committing to a full season.
5) Make ice cream at home – There are a number of truly cheap at-home ice cream makers on the market. It used to be new technology, now there’s enough competition on the market that companies are selling for far less than they used to. You can make this a family and friends event. Have everyone bring their own ingredients and make a party out of it.
The sun puts us in a better mood… but it doesn’t have to put us in a spending mood. Get creative and you’ll be able to enjoy the summer and save a bundle.